Everyone loves cinnamon buns, right? But how about doing a new twist on these delicious buns? Make them into a cake! Kind of. It’s easy, it’s fun and it’s pretty on the table. Glaze it, sprinkle it with powdered sugar, or just serve it as it is. It will be a hit!
- 400 grams wheat flour
- 3 tbsp dry yeast (or 50 grams fresh yeast)
- 0,8 cup plant milk (I use mostly oat milk, but any milk will do)
- 75 grams vegan butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (if you like it)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Vegan butter, cinnamon and sugar
This is how you do it:
- Melt the butter in a small casserole. Add the milk and make sure the temperature gets to about 37 celsius. Then dissolve the yeast in the butter & milk mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients. Knead the dough in a mixer (or do it by hand if you don’t have one) until it has become a smooth dough that doesn’t stick.
- Put a kitchen towel or a plastic bag over the bowl and let the dough rise for about 45 minutes to an hour. You can also just make the buns right away and let them rise, but I think the result is better if you let both the dough and the buns rise for a while.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and onto a floured surface. Knead it a little and then roll it into a large rectangle. Butter the surface of the rectangle with vegan butter, and sprinkle lots of cinnamon and sugar all over it.
- Roll the rectangle into a log and cut the log into about 20 cinnamon buns. Butter a medium size cake tin and place the buns side by side in the tin, the cut sides next to each other. Remember that they will double in size when they rise and bake, so don’t worry if you can’t seem to fill the tin properly. Cover the tin with a kitchen towel or a plastic bag and let the buns rise for about 45 minutes to an hour, until they have doubled in size.
- Set the oven to 200 C (400 F) and place the tin in the middle of the oven. Let the bun cake bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden but not burnt. Let cooll slightly before cutting and serving it, with ice cream, vegan whipped cream or vegan sour cream.