Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/veganeren.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/carousel/jetpack-carousel.php on line 641
I have never been a huge fan of pepperoni, but my husband and kids absolutely love it. Store bought vegan pepperoni is ridiculously expensive here in Norway, so I just had to try and make it myself. And it was a huge success!
This pepperoni is easy to make, and it can be used for almost everything! Sandwiches, pizza, salads, snacking, you name it.
You can even make it into smaller sausages/hot dogs and serve it in buns!
- 250 ml vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp sugar (or other sweetener)
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed or ground
- 1 tsp crushed or ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt (remember the soy sauce can be salt)
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- 2 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
- 100 ml water
- 3 tbsp oil (sunflower oil works great here)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
This is how you do it:
- Find to baking bowls, 3 large sheets of aluminium foil and a measuring cup. Set the oven to 350 f (175 c).
- In one of the bowls, put the dry ingredients (gluten flour and spices) and in the other one, the wet ingredients and whisk out all of the lumps.
- Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir it into a soft dough. Knead it with your hands for about 1 minute.
- Place the dough on the foil sheet and make it into a sausage. Remember – the sausage will expand significantly during the baking.
- Roll the sausage into the foil and close the ends, kind of like a bonbon. Place the sausage on top of another sheet and roll it like the first one. Do the same with the third sheet, so that you have a sausage packed up in 3 foil sheets. This is important so you don’t have a seitan explosion in your oven. You don’t want that, I promise you.
- Place the sausage on the baking sheet and let it bake in the oven for about 1,5 – 2 hours. Take it out when it’s done, and let it cool for 2-3 hours. It slices much better when cold. For the best result, let it sit in the fridge overnight.
- Slice it into thin slices for sandwiches, cut it into chunks for dinner or do whatever you want with it. This is delicious!