I saw Jamie make this tomato salad Jamie on television a while ago, and I just had to make a vegan version because it looked so incredibly good. Fortunately, you get most of the replacements for the animal materials easy in todays stores, so I just found my favourite chorizo from Veganlife and got started. Head on with tofu, tempeh or anything else if you want it, or just go completely bonanza. Nobody has ever been arrested to make their own twist on food.
|Jamie Oliver’s tomato salad with chorizo and garlic,
Here served with pasta bolognese and some freshly baked baguettes
- 1/2 – 1 vegan chorizo sausage, cut into slices
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, in pieces
- 1 pack of cherry tomatoes, halved or divided into four if large
- 3-4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 red onions in strips
- Lots of fresh parsley
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic in medium sized pieces, or thin slices
- Sherry vinegar (or plain, but I really recommend sherry vinegar, it’s so good)
This is how you do it:
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl, together with scallions, onions and parsley. Pour over some sherry vinegar and set it aside.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the chorizo until it is a bit crispy. Put in the garlic and fry, make sure the garlic is not burnt. Pour more oil as needed, there must be some oil in the pan so that a kind of “sauce” is formed with a good taste from the sausage and garlic.
- When the garlic is golden, take the plate off the heat and pour over a pair of tablespoons with sherry vinegar. It smells a lot to begin with, but the smell disappears after a while and the taste is very good.
- Pour everything from the pan to the tomato salad. Stir well and leave it a quarter to collect all the flavors. Server with good bread and some hellish vegan parmesan, and preferably extra chopped fresh parsley.