Nockerel in tomato sauce, you know “no mackerel”. I love puns like that. The original is called “makrell i tomat”.
I don’t know if they have this sandwich spread anywhere but here in Norway, but here it’s on of the most traditional dishes we have. Every non vegan kid is growing up eating this (and it stinks!). I actually love it myself, but since I’m vegan and all, I don’t eat the original, of course. That’s why I was so HAPPY when I managed to make something so similar to makrell i tomat that even non vegans would be surprised! My 10 year old son loves this and eats it almost every day!
- 1/2 jar of sundrid tomatoes in oil, chopped (about 100-150 grams)
- 1000-150 grams tomato paste
- 1/2 – 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp sugar (we use coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp kelp powder or, 1 sheet of nori, crushed to a powder
- Salt, pepper