No Bake Glutenfree Raw Raspberry Cheesecake – Vegan
Raw Raspberry Cheesecake became my (Gunnar) first cake recipe on veganeren.com. To celebrate my birthday, i brought this cake to work with me, to be served after lunch. As with all the dishes i bring my colleagues at Tieto, it didn’t last long. The plate was empty in no time! This recipe is based on one from YummyMummy. It’s always fun to bring food to work, as it opens up for a discussion about veganism, and questions about it. RAW food is, dispite what people may think, very easy to make. And it’s not hard to get ahold of most of the ingredients either. All the ingredients in this cake are all natural, like nuts and fruit, but it still taste like a real sugar bomb!
It is a very simple three layer cake, based on a traditional but very tasty nut base, cashew cream in the middle, and raspberries and cashew cream on top.
Before i get into the recipe and directions, i would like to adress a few things i learned making my very virst raw cheesecake.
- Defrost properly! If you store the cake in the freezer, remember to take it out of the freezer a good while before serving. The flavors in both the cashew- and fruit cremes were 4000% more prominent when the cake was completely defrosted. It takes about an hour, so leave it alone for a while!
- DO NOT follow the recipe to a T when making the base. Start with the chop into small pieces. Add 3/4 of the dates and blend. When you can roll a ball, the mixture is ready. It is alot easier to add more dates, than it is to add more nuts!
Ingredients for a large round cake (24-26 cm):
- 2 cups juicy dates
- 2 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Cashew cream/Cashew cream with raspberries
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight or at least 4-5 hours
- 1/2 cup (plus a little extra) maple syrup
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 can coconut milk (Put the can in the fridge, and use only the solidified layer on top. Do NOT use light coconut milk, as this wont solidify.)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 400 grams fresh or frozen raspberries.
- Add the nuts to your blender, and blend until desired concistency. Add 3/4 of the dates, and blend well. If the mixture can be rolled into a ball in your hands, it’s ready. Add more dates if needed. Press the mixture out into a spring form pan.
- Blend all remaining ingredients (exept raspberries). Blend until smooth and pour half over the base.
- Take half of the raspberries and sprinkle over the cashew cream. Push them gently down into the cream.
- Blend the rest of the raspberries with the remaining half of the cashew cream. This will make the last layer of the cake.
- For decorations we have used lemon zest and mini chocolate chips from vitacost.
Leave to cool in the fridge or freezer.