I just noticed the other night that I had forgot to take bread out of the freezer. The kids were hungry, and thy craved fresh bread. So I had to make up something quick.
These can be made in a hurry and you can add whatever you want! Olives, pizza spices, veggies, sundried tomatoes, nuts and seeds, cheese (vegan, of course), wholewheat, white flour, oats, you name it! 20 minutes and the house smells like a bakery and the kids have the biggets smiles on their faces.
Ingredients for about 15 scones:
- 5 1/2 cups flour (I used half white flour and half wholewheat)
- 4 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar or any other sweetener (I often use maple syrup or coconut palm sugar)
- 1 big handful of linseed
- 1 big handful of sunflower seeds
- 400 ml water
- 300 ml unsweetened vegan milk, I use oat or soy
- 1 big handful of vegan cheese, shredded
- 1 grated carrot
- 1/2 – 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp pizza herbs (thyme, oregano, basil etc)
- 4-5 tbsp chopped sundried tomatoes in oil (I love to put some of the oil into the dough too)
- Maybe some corn kernels? I love to add this in!
This is how you do it:
Set the oven to 230 C (450 F).
Put flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, cheese, carrot, seeds and herbs in a bowl. Mix well.
Add in the milk, water, tomatoes, onion and corn and make a soft dough.
Make scones and place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper. No need to make them flawless, it’s charming when they look really rustic and homemade.
Bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Watch so they don’t get burnt, but they should be well done
Let them cool a bit before eating them. These are great served as is, or topped with different vegan sandwich fillings.