Wonderful, sour ice cream cake with the taste of lemon cheesecake. It can be made in advance since it’s going to be frozen. Remove the cake from the freezer 15-20 minutes before serving it. It goes well with raspberries, or raspberry sauce.
This cake contains homemade condensed soy milk. You might want to make this the day before the cake. Some stores offers ready-to-use vegan condensed milks, but we haven’t seen it in Norway yet.
Ingredients for one round cake, 24 cm in diameter.
Sweet, condensed milk:
- 1 litre soy milk or other plant based milk
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 150 ml sugar
- 1,5 tsp vanilla extract
Ice cream cake:
- 1 pack (gluten free if needed) Digestive biscuits
- 6-7 tbs vegan margarine, use more if needed ( doesn’t have to be room tempered or melted)
- 2 containers of Tofutti natural cream cheese or other vegan cream cheese (about 250 grams each)
- 400 ml condensed milk, see above recipe
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons (grate the zest first, then squeeze out the juice)
- 100-200 ml powdered sugar to taste (taste the batter, some like it more tangy)
This is how you do it:
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat. Keep stirring the whole time.
- Let it simmer for about 1 hour, or until it’s reduced to about 500 ml and thickened. Pour into a jug or container and let it cool. It should be room tempered or cold when you are going to use it. It will go quite thick, like pudding, when it’s cold. Just give it a good stir with a whisk before using. It should have the consistency of vanilla custard.
Ice cream cake:
- Blend the biscuits to crumbs in a food processor. Add the margarine, and blend until it’s a loose dough. Line a round cake tin (24 cm) with parchment paper. Add the dough to the cake tin, and press it out, and up the sides. Leave it in a cool place whilst you’re making the filling.
- Clean the food processor and add cream cheese, lemon juice and zest, powdered sugar and condensed milk. Blend until it’s smooth. Add more powdered sugar if it’s too sour. I like it quite sour, but it’s shouldn’t be too sharp. Pour the mixture onto the cookie crumb base, and put it in the freezer for 4-5 hours, or until the next day.
- Serve with raspberries, raspberry sauce, or whatever else you like. It tastes good on it’s own too.