There are lots of versions of “mango chicken” on the big Internet. I have tried many, but this last one that I made, a mixture of different recipes and my own taste, is the best! The sauce is heavenly, I really must control myself to not just slurp up all the sauce with a spoon before I pour it over the dish. WOW! Garlic, cream, mango chutney, it’s a completely unexpected heavenly combination. Try this on a Saturday night, you won’t regret it.
- 1 pack Hälsans Kök filétbiter (or other vegan “chicken”)
- 1 jar of mango chutney (the brand doesn’t matter)
- 400 ml Oatly cooking cream (or any other type of vegan single cream)
- 1-2 tbs Sambal Oelek (chili paste)
- 2-3 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tsp curry powder (optional)
- 10 sugar snap peas, cut in 3-4 pieces
- 2 peppers, different colours if you like
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red onion, slices or chopped
- Other vegetables are optional
This is how you do:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and find an adequately sized oven dish.
- Add mango chutney, Sambal Oelek, curry powder (if you’re using it) and cream to a bowl. Add the crushed garlic and mix well. Use a teaspoon to taste it but remember that you will most likely wolf down 1/3 of the sauce by “accident”.
- Cut and chop all the vegetables in the ingredient list and any other vegetables you are using and place them in the oven dish. Place the “chicken” pieces on top and pour the sauce over. Mix a bit with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Stir a bit after 10 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice and naan bread. Heavenly!
Combine with some nice bread rolls, this one is a sure hit with this dish: