No Christmas without some good old Norwegian rice cream. We always have rice cream for dessert on Christmas eve, just because of the absurd almond competition where we all suddenly turn 5 and try to trick each other into believing that we’ve got the almond. When someone actually finds the almond we’re all suddenly full.
But rice cream is nice cream! I prefer it with cherry compote. From the shops yup, but you can of course make the sauce yourself. I do that myself sometimes.
|The almond was supposed to be decorative, but it just ended up looking silly.|
- 500 ml water
- ½ tsp salt
- 250 ml porridge rice
- 400 ml coconut milk (one large tin)
- 750 ml soy milk
- A little sugar and vanilla to taste if you like
- 2-3 packs Gryr whipping cream (depending on how much whipped cream you prefer)
- A little sugar/powdered sugar and vanilla sugar, optional
- Compote or raspberry sauce
This is how you do it:
- Bring water and salt to a boil, add the rice and let it simmer on a low heat until most of the water has evaporated.
- Add soy and coconut milk, sugar and vanilla and let the porridge simmer on a low heat until it has the preferred consitensy. This will take approximately 1 hour.
- Stir every now and then. It’s very, very important that the temperature doesn’t get too high.
- Let the porridge cool down completely before you mix it with the whipped cream (important!).
- Whip the cream. You can cool it in the fridge for a little while to stiffen it up.
- Mix the porridge and whipped cream together carefully, and add more sugar and vanilla if needed.
- I prefer real vanilla sugar by Oetker or Tørsleffs, or you can use a vanilla pod.
- I tend to avoid the horrible vanilla sugar by Freia/Ica, it only tastes of artificial vanillin!
- Serve with berry sauce or compote.
- I like to serve it with cherry compote, but homemade strawberry or raspberry sauce is also delicious.
- I made this sauce (siden finnes ikke), and I might make it again this year. I Highly recommended it! Raspberry is nice.