We have had several cheese sauce recipes on the blog through the years, and I recon this is how it is with recipes – one always experiment and try out new versions that are even better than the last one. Cheese sauce is no exeption! We have made so much vegan cheese over the years now, that I guess we can call ourselves some kind of experts. And this sauce is definitely one of our favorites! It’s healthy, easy to make and so delicious you will want to eat it out of the blender with a spoon!
Miso is something maybe most people outside Asia don’t use in their cooking. At least here in Europe (Norway) most people don’t even know what it is! But when you start using it, you will be happy to always have it in your fridge, because it’s a very versatile product, it’s healthy and it will give many dishes that nice umami flavor, and vegan cheese that deep cheese flavor you most definitely want when making it. You can leave it out if you don’t have it available, but we strongly recommend you use it to get that extra tang/cheezy flavor. But, the cheese will be amazing both with or without miso.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, placed in cold water overnight
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 3 topped tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (more if you like)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder if you want, we love to add it in
- 1/2 cup hot water (add more water if you want a thinner consistency)
This is how you do it:
- Put everything in a blender and process until smooth. Add more water if you need it. It should be smooth and a bit runny, but not watery.
- The sauce is ready! Taste it, does it need more salt? Smoked paprika? Lemon juice? You are the boss of it!
- This sauce is wonderful for dipping nachos chips into, or drizzle over loaded nachos or pizza. Some people prefer to drizzle it over the pizza before it goes into the oven, while others want it to be drizzled on top of the warm, finished pizza. Enjoy!