I have always sworn by meat substitute in lasagna. But after I started making lasagna with lentils instead, I’ve completely lost …. For meat substitute in lasagna. I think this is SO much better. Besides it’s healthy and cheap. One of the cheapest dinners one can make in fact. And you can buy all the ingredients, apart from nutritional yeast, in all grocery stores.
Ingredients for a large oven dish (I use the large glass oven dish from Ikea):
- 2 onions, red or yellow
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 large celery stalks
- 2 large carrots
- 3-4 handfuls dry red lentils (they have the shortest cooking time)
- 2 cans tinned tomatoes
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- Black pepper, thyme, oregano and basil
- Vegetable oil
- Water, add until the sauce has the thickness you prefer
- Agave syrup or sugar to taste, I used about 1 tsp
- Lasagna sheets (most are without eggs, check the packaging)
- 3 tbs vegan margarine
- 4 tbs white flour
- 800-1000 ml unsweetened soy milk
- ½-1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½-1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 cube vegetable stock
This is how you do it:
- Chop onion and garlic, peal and grate the carrots (or cut them in small cubes, that also works) and chop the celery stalks.
- Heat some oil in a saucepan and fry all the vegetables. Add the tomatoes and some water. Add the herbs, stock cube and lentils. Let it simmer until the lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. Add more water if needed. I never use a recipe for this so it’s a bit hard to give exact measures.
Meanwhile you can make the bechamel sauce.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan and add the flour. Stir in the soy milk a little at a time until the sauce is fairly thick. Add the rest of the ingredients and let the sauce simmer until the taste of flour is gone, about 5-10 minutes. Add more soy milk if needed.
- Find a large oven dish. Spread the lentil sauce in the bottom, then bechamel sauce. Place lasagna sheets on top, and the repeat with lentils sauce, bechamel sauce and lasagna sheets. I usually use 3 layers of lasagna sheets, and lentils sauce and bechamel sauce on top. You can sprinkle some basil on top, it looks good and tastes nice.
- Cook the lasagna in the oven for about 30 minutes on 220 degrees C until the lasagna sheets are soft (test with a knife).
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it stand for about 10 minutes before cutting it. Serve with a salad, bread and Sojade natural yoghurt or something similar.