These are amazing! Really delicious and easy to make. Make them spicy – or don’t. Eat them cold or hot. And most of all, make a double batch or more, because these dissapear before you know it!
Ingredients for about 8 burgers:
- 1 can of cooked chickpeas, about 400 grams
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, mashed or chopped
- 1 green (or the color you want) bell pepper, chopped
- 1 fresh chilipepper, I like to use red
- A couple of tbsp of the spices you like (in total), for instance paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, thyme, dill, sage and smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp fresh or dried parsley
- 1 tbsp tabasco sauce or any other chilisauce (skip it if you don’t like spicy food)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp flour (use glutenfree, for instance gram flour/chickpea flour for glutenfree burgers)
- Olive oil, 2 -3 tbsp
Pour some oil in a skillet and fry garlic, onion, peppers, chili and celery until soft and translucent. Add them to a food processor together with chickpeas and pulse until a coarse batter. You can of course do this by hand, use a potato masher or something similar. Don’t purée it! We are not making hummus here.
|Chickpeas in the food processor|
|Add veggies and pulse|
Scoop a handful of batter out of the food processor and knead it a little in your hand so it gets firmer. Make a ball and press it flat to form a burger. I recommend to make one burger first, to see if it comes out well. If it’s perfect, make the rest of the burgers. Fry them in oil on medium heat until they are a bit crisp on both sides.
|About 4 minutes on each side|
|Turn and fry on the other side for 3-4 minutes|