Moist Vegan Chocolate Cake with Peanut Buttercream
Just another chocolate peanutbutter cake and you might think our archives starting to clog up, but no sir, not this one. THAT archive will never be full. Recently we have been publishing quite a few healthy peanut chocolate cakes so we thought that this time we will skip the healthy part and just aim for the deicious part. Variation is king. This is a really moist vegan chocolate cake with peanut buttercream. VeganGround are not too fund of buttercreams, they tend to quickly sweeten up too much, but this here cream does not contain either icing or refined sugar. It is entirely made up of peanut butter, vegan butter, vanilla and maple syrup! Not a concious healthy choice, but because it is much tastier than all the icing sugar that just adds up to the unnatural sweetness of it all.
Since we usually tend to prefer the healthier choice we will make this cake based on spelt or wholeweat flour and coconut sugar next time around. If some of our readers should try this before we get to it we would really appreciate hearing from you guys.
Ingredients for a big cake, aprrox. 24 cm:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 0,5 cups cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 100 ml cooking oil, e.g. sunflower oil (or 100 grams of melted vegan butter)
- 250 ml of soy or almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 250 ml water or strong coffee (coffee is best i, but for children’s palates use water)
- 350 grams of peanut butter
- 150 grams of vegan butter
- 5-6 tbsp (more to taste) maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 2 tsp vanilla sugar
This is how you do it:
- Set the oven to 350 degrees F. Dress a cake tin with a parchment paper in the bottom.
- Stir together the milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Leave it for 5 minutes until it has thickened. Include oil, vanilla, flax seed and coffee / water. Stir well, preferably with a hand mixer.
- In another bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix in the wet and stir well with a hand mixer to a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and leave it for approx. 45-50 minutes or up to an hour, depending on the oven. Use a stick to see if it’s done. Remove the cake and let it cool completely, preferably overnight but at least until it is cold.
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend into a smooth cream. Season with more vanilla or syrup.
- Split the cake into two parts and butter 1/3 of the icing on the bottom and place the other part on top.
- Grease the rest of the glaze on top and on the sides and decorate with chopped or grated chocolate (chocolate sauce is always an option or what about our salted caramel sauce) and chopped peanuts. The cake will keep for several days in the refrigerator.