Some will probably call them scones, but I am no huge fan of scones and I do not actually think of those scones at all. More like airy, lovely rolls. Quick and Healthy Bread Rolls. These are super fast to make, and also fun for the kids to make, never mind the shape! And they can be varied indefinitely. We have made light, coarse, with (vegan) cheese, pizza herbs, olives, you name it. Make a large dough and make several flavors in one batch. We promise you that these will be very popular around the breakfast or lunch table! Exclude the seeds if you don’t like them.
Ingredients for approx 10 rolls:
- 3 cups mixed flour (we mix a bit of each here, eg just wheat flour, or half coarse and fine, a little fine and a little rye, some oats, take what you have and like)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed
- 1/2 cup flaxseed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, preferably slightly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups water or 1 cup water + 1 cup plant milk
- Sesame seeds or other seeds for decoration
This is how you do it:
- Set the oven to 480 degrees fahrenheit and dress a baking tray with a baking sheet. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and stir into a lightly sticky dough with a sliver. Slightly add more flour if it is too sticky but it should not be “hard”, the bread rolls will be best if the dough sticks a little.
- Use a spoon to put the rolls onto the baking sheet, or wet your hands and roll out rolls. They certainly do not need to be particularly nice, we went for juicy rolls with a rustic look.
- Bake the rolls for approx. 10-15 minutes until golden and slightly crispy on the outside.
- The children’s favorite were those with cheese and pizza spices in the dough itself. They were eaten frighteningly fast!