Yes, I think this must be an appropriate name for these. It is a recipe for donuts that looks like donuts, but they taste more like berliner donut (Pfannkuchen). As I originally wanted to make vegan regular donuts I was quite dissapointed that they did not taste as they looked, but the dissapointment quickly went away when I discovered the incredible softness of these buns. Crispy on the outside and soft Pfannkuchen on the inside.
Still leaves me looking for a good plain donut recipe, though.
Ingredients for approx. 16 donuts:
- 1 pack of yeast
- 1 dl of sugar (+ 1 tbsp to mix in the yeast)
- 2.5 dl of lukewarm water
- 1000 ml wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 tbsp potato flour
- 3 tsp vanilla sugar
- 250 ml soy milk
- 50 ml melted vegan margarine
- Oil for frying
- Glaze or use powdered sugar if you want
This is how you do it:
- Mix yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar and water in a bowl. Leave it for five minutes. Mix soy milk, sugar, margarine and sugar in another bowl. Add the yeast water to the soy milk mixture and mix well, preferably with a kitchen machine. Pour the flour and salt into the mixture while stirring. Knead the dough until it is firm and fine. Cover and let it rise for 1 hour.
- After the rest the dough needs a good kneading. Cut into approx. 16 pieces and roll each piece into a small ball. Use the thumbs to squeeze a hole in the middle of each ball and gently form a donut. Let the donuts rest for another 30 minutes on a flour covered surface.
- Heat the oil in a fairly big frying pan. How do you know when the oil is just perfect and ready for the dough? Use a wooden stick or a piece of white bread, put it in the oil for a couple of seconds. If it starts to hiss or bubble around the edge the oil is warm enough. Fry the donuts a couple of minutes on each side, they are “browning” up fast, so please be careful when turning them.
- There is also a pretty big chance for burning your fingers, so use some kitchen equipment to toss the donuts with.
- Let the donuts rest for a few minutes on some kitchen towels. They are best eaten luke warm.