This is a huge Norwegian tradition dish, and it’s one of my favorite childhood memories, when we went to grandma and grandpa for Sunday dinners and they served us “laks med kokte poteter, agurksalat og Sandefjordsmør”, or “salmon with boiled potatoes, cucumber salad and buttery cream sauce” in English.
I wanted to create a vegan friendly version of this dish, and when I finally did it and it was so easy, I almost cried! Tofu will (luckily) never be the same as salmon whatever you do with it, but it’s a really great replacement and with the right spices you will get a really fishy and wonderful dish out of it. Here is our recipe for one of the best dinners in the whole world!
Ingredients for about 4 people:
- 500 grams firm tofu (not silken)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp kelp-powder, or 1 sheet of nori, grounded (for the fishy flavor)
- 1 tbsp dill
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt, use enough to make the “fish” taste a bit salty
- Freshly ground pepper
- A little water to make enough of the marinade
- 1 large cucumber, in thin slices
- 4-5 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- some dill, fresh or dried
Buttery cream sauce:
- 200 grams vegan butter
- 1 cup unsweetened vegan cream of choice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- lots and lots of fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- white or black pepper
This is how you do it:
- Set the oven to 400 F (200 C) and find a large ovenproof dish.
- Drain and press the water out of the tofu and slice it in rectangles. Set aside.
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl. Taste if it needs more “fish” flavor (nori or kelp) or anything else. Dip each of the tofu slices into the marinade and place them in the ovenproof dish in one layer. Pour the rest of the marinade over the tofu and bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until all the marinade has vaporized and the tofu slices are dry but still a little moist.
- Mix all the ingredients besides cucumber together in a bowl. Add the cucumber slices and mix well. Cover and place it in the fridge until serving, the longer you let it stand, the more flavor it gets.
Tips: for more exotic dishes, try mixing cucumber slices with sweet chilisauce and one mashed garlic clove. It’s friggin delicious!
Buttery cream sauce:
- Put the vegan cream into a casserole. Let it come to a simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then, turn off the heat completely and add the butter. Whisk until all the butter has melted into the cream and blended well together. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper and parsley and do a taste test. Good, right? Love this sauce!
- Serve the tofu “fish” with boiled potatoes, cucumber salad, the sauce and maybe some grated or cooked carrots. Yum!
- If you get a vegan Norwegian guest for dinner, this is what you serve him or her! They will love you forever.
Read our extensive article on tofu, what tofu is and what it is not
Try our other veganized traditional dishes
Another faux fried fish, made of parsnip, yes you read right: