Chinese Chickpeas in Sweet and Sour Sauce
Chinese food has always been one of my absolute favorite foods, and sweet and sour chicken was (and black pepper sauce) was the dish I chose almost every time I went to a Chinese restaurant.
Luckily I don’t have to avoid my favorite foods as a vegan. Almost anything can be veganized, also sweet and sour sauce!
If you want this dish to be even more “authentic” you can use vegan chicken substitute. I do that sometimes just because i love vegan chicken. But this is (in my opinion) a more healthy alternative, and also much cheaper. Chickpeas are loaded with nutrients and should be eaten daily, if you ask me. We love chickpeas!
This is a kid friendly, healthy and delicious recipe that will take you about 10 minutes to make! Enjoy.
Ingredients for about 2 people:
Sweet and sour sauce:
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup (I use sugar free)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp garlic powder (kan be omitted, but I like the taste)
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar, or maple syrup (coconut sugar is the best choice here)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Other vegetables of choice (I like broccoli, sugar snaps, spring onion and carrots)
- Salt and pepper to taste, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds if you like
- 1 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water
This is how you do it:
Mix all the ingredients to the sauce and set aside.
Fry the onions for a few minutes, then add the bell pepper and other veggies and fry for another 5 minutes. I like to cook the carrots and broccoli halfway through first, then add them to the dish to the end, so that they are not too hard, yet still a bit crunchy.
Add the chickpeas and the sauce and let it simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes. Maybe 10 if the veggies need it. Stir occasionally. Add the corn starch water and stir. Let the sauce thicken for about 2-3 minutes, and then it’s done! Add some more water if needed.
Serve hot over noodles or rice.